Thursday, October 16, 2014

Acts 9:32-43 Peter Gets Around

Acts 9:32-43 NIV

Every now and then, I go up to the Bishop Baraga Shrine to pray. It is situated on a hill at the head of the bay between Baraga and L'Anse. From this vantage point, I can see much of the area that I have been called to serve; but very little of the area that Bishop Baraga served. He was a mover. He covered a goodly portion of Michigan by foot, snowshoe (that's why he's called the Snowshoe Priest) and canoe. When a family summoned him because a loved one was sick or dying; he was there no matter what the distance was.

Peter was a mover, as well. He was moving freely about between communities. He was busy healing people and at bedsides with those who were grieving. His ministry was not confined to a specific place. He, as we all are, was sent to proclaim the Good News to all people.

I am most fortunate to serve with a congregation that understands that my call is not merely as a chaplain to members; but, to minister to all people in the community who are in need. I am most fortunate that I am free to pray with the sick, bury the dead, proclaim the Good News to all people whether they are a member of this congregation or not; even if they have never even visited the congregation.

I spend very few hours in the office and most of those hours are either in the wee hours of the morning or late in the evening. My time is spent within the community, freely moving about and going wherever there is a need for healing and hope; wherever there is a need for the Good News of the Kingdom of Christ Jesus to be proclaimed. I thank God for the people of Skanee who have called me to serve not just them; but, anyone who is in need.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: