Saturday, July 30, 2011

Noah's descendents

Genesis 10 - 11

Trying to catch up now that I have internet again.

I know that many of you would just as soon skip any and all geneologies found in the Bible.  They're boring I'm told.  I know most of us can't remember these lists of family members - but - there is some good stuff to be found in them.

As my husband and friends left to go fishing at 4:30 a.m. the other morning (a little early for me to go fishing) I was thinking about the lists of people in the old testament, particularly in building the temple and couldn't remember any notable fishermen being mention in the O.T. Couldn't remember any place that listed someone as:  ......., the son of ......., a fisherman.  Jesus called fishermen.  But, what about the old testament?  Here we have just read the story of Noah, out there floating in an endless sea, but I didn't remember anything about fishing - course they didn't eat fish until after the flood.  As soon as I finished reading a couple chapters in Genesis, I was going to see if I could find the first mention of fishermen in the Bible.    So I opened my Bible to the next chapter and there it was in chapter 10 of Genesis.  The sons of Javan, the son of Japeth, the son of Noah were maritime people.

Not much time for babbling this morning - so I will leave you as you work through the geneology from Noah to Abraham and figuring out all those different places that the people were dispersed to after leaving Babel.

No comments: