Friday, July 27, 2012

2 Chronicles 31 - Good and Right and Faithful Steward

"This is what Hezekiah did throughout Judah, doing what was good and right and faithful before the Lord his God. In everything that he undertook in the service of God’s temple and in obedience to the law and the commands, he sought his God and worked wholeheartedly. And so he prospered." (31:20-21 NIV) 

This chapter is a wonderful example of good stewardship - stewardship in many areas.  I probably think about stewardship - taking care of all that God has given us (including: His grace, forgiveness, eternal life) - at least once a day.  Lately, I've been trying to figure out what we should do for our annual stewardship program or lack of it.  I hate programs, but we do focus on stewardship during October.  I've been trying to talk one of the most faithful men that I know into doing a table talk on stewardship.  I'm not sure if he will.  I am sure he is reading this and the chapter for today; though, because he is also faithful in the stewardship of God's word.  He is faithful in many things.  (Matt 25)

I often hear people complain about how little they have.  They don't have enough money to help others.  They don't have enough time to worship.  They don't have.  The reality, I often see, is that they often have a great deal.  The harder reality is that they just manage things poorly.  They are very poor stewards of God's gifts to them.  God is the last person they take the time to think about or thank when it comes time to using up the gifts of God and consequently they lose a lot - they throw it away - instead of investing or reinvesting for the glory of God.  

Remembering that all that we have actually belongs to God and that we are simply caretakers of it helps me to keep things in perspective. 

May God help us to do what is good and right and faithful before Him.


No comments: