Sunday, July 28, 2013

Jeremiah 21 - Day Of Judgment

Have the people not been listening? Has King Zedekiah heard none of the prophecies of Jeremiah? After much warning, Zedekiah finally realizes that Nebuchadnezzar is coming against them and sends word to Jeremiah to inquire of the LORD if He will deliver the people. It is, in fact, the LORD who is sending Nebuchadnezzar against them. It is too late. The day of judgment arrives. All those wasted days and years living for themselves rather than for God and doing what was not right in His sight, have finally come back on them.

 “Furthermore, tell the people, ‘This is what the Lord says: See, I am setting before you the way of life and the way of death.  I have determined to do this city harm and not good, declares the Lord. It will be given into the hands of the king of Babylon, and he will destroy it with fire.’
  “Moreover, say to the royal house of Judah, ‘Hear the word of the Lord. 12 This is what the Lord says to you, house of David:
“‘Administer justice every morning;
    rescue from the hand of the oppressor
    the one who has been robbed,
or my wrath will break out and burn like fire
    because of the evil you have done—
    burn with no one to quench it.
I am against you, Jerusalem,
    you who live above this valley
    on the rocky plateau, declares the Lord
you who say, “Who can come against us?
    Who can enter our refuge?”
I will punish you as your deeds deserve,
    declares the Lord.
I will kindle a fire in your forests
    that will consume everything around you.’” (Jer 21:8, 10-14)

It will not be good on the day of judgment. There will many who will think, as King Zedekiah thought, that the LORD would save them and in the end, the LORD will say, I knew you not, because you knew me not. Hear the prophecy of Jesus, just in case you haven't heard it before and a reminder if you hadn't, like King Zedekiah, paid attention.

   “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.  For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
   “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
   "He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’" (Matt 25:41-45 NIV)

Feed His Sheep! And have a blessed day!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: