Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Malachi 4 - Rising Sun

Years ago, I was helping a group of teen-agers form a church youth group. It was their idea to start meeting regularly as a group and they wanted to have a name for the group. There were quite a few suggestions, which I do not recall. But, there was one suggestion that I will always remember. One teen-age boy suggested they should call themselves "The Rising Sun." My mind immediately went to "The House of the Rising Sun," a song, by the 60's band, The Animals, whose lyrics are not exactly fitting for a church youth group. The other "Rising Sun" that came to mind was Japan.

So, I asked him why he thought that would be a good name. I was surprised when his response took us directly to Malachi, chapter four. He actually knew book, chapter, and verse.

"But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its rays. And you will go out and frolic like well-fed calves." Malachi 4:2

That a Jr. High youth would even know this verse, I found quite astounding! Who taught this child? It certainly wasn't me! How many adults have read this verse and then actually remember it if they have read it? It is certainly not one of those verses that I had committed to memory. But, he had. I spoke with him not long ago via a chat box on the internet. He is happily married and happily a father. And, to my delight he is still studying his Bible and actually knows about and what some of our great theologians of the past (and present) taught. God has put His Spirit in that young man (everyone seems young to me lately). The "Rising Sun," "The Sun of Righteousness," has shone upon him. Thanks be to God!

May the sun of righteousness rise with healing in its wings and shine upon all of you.

God's Peace - Pr. J. 

No comments: