Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Exile on Water

Genesis 6-8

After a Bible study on John, a couple of visits, and a wedding rehearsal, I am leaving the shores of Lake Superior to go fishing on Lake Michigan today.  I'm not sure why I would leave one beautiful place in search of another.  But, I do.  Living in the wilderness near the water is one of the most precious gifts God has given me in these later years.  Rarely a day goes by when I don't thank God for this little piece of land and the water...

Years ago, I spent about 80 days kayaking the shores of Lake Superior - mostly alone - a self-imposed exile.  It was beautiful.  But, I also found that while I was out there floating around in a little boat that I was quite alone, except for God.  I didn't pray much while I was on land as I had planned.  But, out there floating, away from people, away from the land, I prayed a lot, not because I was afraid, simply because there was not much to do except paddle and I needed someone to talk to. The only someone who was available was God.  Exile is like that.  When we are not in our familiar and comfortable surroundings, all of a sudden we realize that being in relationship with God is a good thing.

There's a whole lot of things we can gleen from the story of Noah and usually do, but this morning, I realize as Noah is floating around in a big box with animals and birds of every kind it is yet another story of exile - of being sent away from the land.  Being sent away from the things he knows, from the land, from his home, his brothers and sisters, his neighbors, only to return to begin a new life in a creation that has been washed - cleansed - by the flood waters.  The old life is washed away and Noah must start anew.

In Baptism, we too have been washed by water and the Word, cleansed for a new life.  As you may already know; although, humankind had a fresh start through the flood, it didn't take us long to start falling away again.  As Genesis 8:21 (NRSV) says, "...for the inclination of the human heart is evil from youth."  And then what happens?  God is merciful and we are sent as wanderers - exiles :) so that we might turn back to the Lord again. 

Remember the waters that you have been washed with, giving thanks to God for bringing you through the flood waters, through the wilderness, through exile to a new and renewed life in God's presence. 

Forgive me the unorganized random thoughts - much to do before I can pack up the camper.  If you don't hear from me tomorrow morning, you will know that this fishing trip might end up being an exile from internet access :)

No comments: