Monday, July 25, 2011

Exiled East of Eden

Genesis, Chapter 4

Not long ago, I was walking in the the woods near the house with my granddaughter.  As we stopped to turn around, we noticed, in a nearby tree, one of those little pearls that make walking in the wilderness such a joy: A pilliated woodpecker (who isn't fascinated with Woody Woodpecker?).  I ran quickly back to the house to get my camera, but when I returned it was gone.  I have not seen it since, but I will be more watchful for it in the future.

Reading the Bible can be like a walk in the wilderness.  There's always a new little pearl to be found that will pique your interest and provide you with one of the "ah ha" moments as you rejoice in the discovery.      

The reading of Chapter 4 this morning was one of those "ah ha" moments.  I don't know if it was because of the way I learned the creation story as a child, by hearing it told as a story by others who had not actually read the story for themselves, but my mind just has not been able to completely grasp the words that are actually in the written story.  There is a difference in the way that the creation story is often told and what is actually written in the Holy Bible.

For whatever reason, until today these two things were always synonomous in my mind:  "garden of Eden" and "Eden."  Yesterday we read how the man (Adam and Eve?) was exiled -  kicked out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken.  Cherubim and a flaming sword were placed on the east side of the garden of Eden to guard the way to the tree of life.  Today we hear as part of the consequence for killing his brother, Cain is made a fugitive and wanderer on the earth.  He is exiled from Eden, leaves the presence of God, and settles in the land of Nod (which essentially means Wandering), east of Eden.

Is it an important distinction that Adam (humankind?) was exiled from the Garden of Eden and Cain was exiled from Eden?  Is there a certain progression to this that we might pay attention to and follow as we read through the rest of scripture? I don't know, but for me this morning, it is as if I have found a small pearl and I rejoice over this discovery.

As we venture forth, another little gem that you might want to note in the stories throughout scripture is first found in this one.  The favoritism shown (for no apparent reason) toward the younger child over the firstborn. 

And... don't forget to watch for more wilderness wandering, more exiles, as you join me in a journey through the Holy Scriptures, which in itself can be a type of wilderness. Remember some of these themes, search for some of these little pearls as you venture through the Holy Scriptures and what may seem like a daunting task will make your journey through the wilderness an amazing adventure.     

May God help us in our journey through the written word found in Holy Scripture that we might have a greater understanding and appreciation for the word which directs us to the Living Word.  Open our eyes Lord, help us to see.  

No comments: