Friday, December 20, 2013

Haggai 2 - God Is With You; You Are Not Alone

"'But now be strong, Zerubbabel,’ declares the Lord. ‘Be strong, Joshua son of Jozadak, the high priest. Be strong, all you people of the land,’ declares the Lord, ‘and work. For I am with you,’ declares the Lord Almighty. ‘This is what I covenanted with you when you came out of Egypt. And my Spirit remains among you. Do not fear.'" (Haggai 2:4-5 NIV)

The temple is in ruins. The people are complacent. Nothing seems to be as it should be. Yet, the LORD promises the people the blessing of His presence.

It is almost Christmas. Advent is one of my least favorite seasons. It is a time of darkness for many. The sun rises later and sets earlier. The world is running around putting on their happy faces; while, inside hearts are breaking. There is so much loneliness, so much turmoil, so much fear. We simply cannot live up to the standards (maybe just the U.S.?) the world has set for our lifestyles during the pre-Christmas season. We are expected to spend... spend... spend... We are expected to be happy... happy... happy.... Even as we grieve the loss of loved ones... Even as we figure out how to pay the electric or heating bill or pay the rent... Even as we suffer through divorces or other broken relationships... As I visit our many neighbors and am out in the public more, I get to see - I get to feel - the pain and suffering - the need - all around. Suffering, sadness, loneliness are not the exception; they are the norm during the Advent season. How many tears I have encountered as doors are opened to me, I cannot even begin to tell you. There is really nothing I can do to fix it for anyone, except offer Jesus, share His love for you. Yes, there may be some things the church can do, like helping find a means to keep homes heated or pay the rent or provide food so that families are not hungry. But, that alone will not be enough. That will not help the heart-sickness that so many feel. For that kind of suffering there is only one answer - a trusting relationship with our God. There is nothing that I can do except to walk beside you on your journey through these dark days and remind you that the LORD is with you. Do not fear, but trust in the Spirit of Christ who lives among us. 

Do not fear... God is with you... You are not alone...

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: