Monday, December 9, 2013

Micah 7 - Blood Thicker Than Blood

Micah warns that no shall be trusted - all will conspire against the followers of God - even one's family. Throughout my life, I have gone through many changes. At first, I naively trusted everyone. Then, I trusted no one. Finally, as I came to have a closer relationship with God, I was able, once again, to have trust in others. Not that I placed my trust in others, but that I placed my trust in God so that I was once again able to help others. I knew and know that no matter what others might do against me, God is with me for the good.

Sadly, I witness over and over again how true Micah's reminder and warning is.
"For a son dishonors his father,
    a daughter rises up against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
    a man’s enemies are the members of his own household.

But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord,
    I wait for God my Savior;

    my God will hear me." (Micah 7:6-7 NIV)

Greed, envy, jealousy; these all affect family relationships. Pride in self is a killer of families. Even among family members, one will put their own desires before another; before the good of family. When I worked at the youth correctional facility, I would warn the young men to please not move home when they were released. Many of their problems came from parents who put their own lives (often addictions) before the children. To move back home because of family blood ties would spell "prison sentence" for them in the end, as I knew that many of their family members would continue to lead them in lives of crime for the sake of their own desires. As the spiritual counselor, as well as the substance abuse counselor, I would remind them: "There is a blood that is thicker than blood and that is the blood of Christ shed for you."  

In Him we can trust.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: