Monday, June 2, 2014

Luke 13:10-17 Bound and Free

Luke 13:10-17 NIV
I often wonder about being in bondage. I wonder how much I should allow myself to be bound to things of this world if indeed I am free in Christ. We are indeed free in Christ to serve God and one another. However, we (most of us) are bound to something here on earth. Work schedules, bosses, family members, friends and acquaintances regulate what we do and when we do it. Not long ago, I went with a tour group to Ireland. Even the vacation regulated so that at times I felt like we were chained to a schedule. I also have to be very careful about making plans with my grandchildren. I have to give them a lot of maybes or we'll see... If I agree to do something, they expect me to do it. No matter what else might come up, they get pretty upset if the schedule ends up changed. They insist on me being bound to my word, even if it was not a promise, but a suggestion.

Now, commitments are usually good things. A commitment to worship God on Sundays (or any and everyday) is an excellent thing. But, in our parable today of Jesus healing a woman on the Sabbath, Jesus reminds us that there is more to worship and honoring God than keeping Sabbath law or traditions. When someone is in need, the schedule must be flexible enough to help them.

In Christ, we are free to be bound to love and serve. By his blood, we have been set free to worship and serve our God and to love and serve our neighbors, as well.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: