Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Luke 20:1-8 Answering Questions

Luke 20:1-8 NIV
Years ago, I worked for an insurance company. My boss liked to get more personal than I thought he ought to. Whenever he asked me a personal question, I responded with a counter question. I didn't even realize I did this until he pointed out my habit of answering questions with questions. It came naturally. I didn't plan my responses. I guess it may have been a way to protect myself, my privacy.

Jesus' responses were not always direct answers to questions, either. He skirted the questions. In Luke 20 we hear him ask a question in response to a question that the priests and teachers of the law had asked as they tried to back him into a corner. They wanted to know by what authority he did the things he was doing. "He replied, 'I will also ask you a question. Tell me:  John’s baptism—was it from heaven, or of human origin?'” (vs 3-4)

The priests and teachers of the law could not answer Jesus' question. No matter how they answered, they, themselves, would be in trouble with someone, so they simply answered "we don't know." (vs 7)

Answering questions with questions will sometimes end the conversation when we are being grilled about something that is simply not for the other person to know. Sometimes, the best answer is "I don't know." The truth is we don't know a lot of things. There is nothing wrong in admitting that truth.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: