Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanks - Giving

Kaye bringing offerings
of thanks-giving

I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
    and I will glorify your name forever." Psalm 86:12 NRSV

As my husband and I headed out for worship last night, he asked me when Thanksgiving became a Christian holiday. That was the second time someone asked me this year about the purpose of a thanks-giving service on the eve of the Federal holiday of Thanksgiving. The question kind of floors me when I hear it. If we're not giving thanks to God, then who or what? Of course, if we're giving thanks, we ought to be giving it to God. He has cared for us and provided for us abundantly.

The service was led mainly by the choir with "The Holy City" as they helped us to remember, through both spoken and sung words, the things that God has done for us through Jesus that we might obtain the precious gift of eternal life in the Holy City, in the Kingdom of God.

Our thank offerings for the evening included food for our local food pantry at St. Vincent de Paul's in order that others might receive their daily bread and give thanks to the Lord, who is our provider.  Thanksgiving is about giving thanks and; yes, it is also about giving that which was first given us.

The question when did thanksgiving become a Christian holiday does, in fact, kind of stump me. It has always been a time set aside to give thanks for all that God has given us. I did not give much thought to my response to my husband. I just sort of shook my head and told him, "Well, since so few people want to worship and thank God for the gift of Jesus on Christmas morning, we're going to do it on Thanksgiving Eve." We did. Thanks be to God working through the Zion Choir!

May God bless you in your thanks - giving.

God's Peace - Pr. J

P.S. Due to the lack of interest in worship on Christmas morning, Zion, as well as many other Christian churches, do not worship on Christmas morning. The congregation does; however, have candle-light Christmas Eve Service both at 6 pm and 11 pm (ends a little after midnight) in order to fulfill my stubborn desire to worship on Christmas morning.

No comments: