Friday, April 17, 2015

Hebrews 10 - Gather Together

Hebrews 10 NIV

Photo of a Maundy Thursday Service. Although, some may
consider too much joy at Worship inappropriate; at Zion, we
encourage God's children of all ages to gather together to
worship and serve the Lord that they might know the
peace and joy that only He can give.
During Holy Week this year I was told by a couple of people that people today just don't care to go to church anymore and that it doesn't mean that they are not Christians. You can be a Christian and not gather together with other Christians. Oh, yeah? How is that really working for you? Do you actually know the peace and joy that comes from a relationship with God and with our brothers and sisters in Christ? Do you live in the reassurance that God is with you or do you live in turmoil, chaos, drama? The author of Hebrews writes: "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (vs 24-25) Why not give yourself the opportunity to be encouraged by other Christians in your journey of faith?
.
Decades ago, I figured out that if I did not attend public worship at least once a week to worship God and to receive Him in the Word and Sacraments I would become a very ugly person by the end of the week. So ugly, in fact, that I could barely stand myself. I am a sinner. I need to hear what the Lord has done for me and for all people. Without Him I can do nothing good. If I avoided corporate worship; gathering with other Christians to hear God's Word and being reassured that I have been redeemed by the blood of Jesus, the world would see how sinful I can really be. I don't think anyone really wants that.

The gathering together of Christians encourages each of us present to continue in "The Way." Christians are not islands unto themselves. We are joined together by the blood of Christ. We are one in Christ. So what would make anyone think that a Christian can live and continue in "The Way" without the rest of the Body?

I pray that you will consider gathering with the Christians at your local place of worship the next time they meet so that you can be reassured that you are a beloved child of God; a child born, by the blood of Christ who loves you and gave himself for you. 

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: