Sunday, April 12, 2015

Hebrews 5 - Infant Christians

Hebrews 5 NIV
Years ago, there was a young man whom I had been teaching about Christ. We had seen each other almost every day for close to a year. I was going to be leaving and would probably never see him again so I attempted to explain to him about the peace and joy that comes with the indwelling Spirit of Christ. I could see a dazed look in his eyes. He finally said, "I just don't understand." I realized that he was still too new to Christianity to get it, yet. He was still an infant. He had much to learn. I smiled and told him that I understood that it was hard to grasp; but, that I was teaching him all this so that in years to come, when I wouldn't be around, he might remember my words and understand.

The author of Hebrews begins to explain the significance of Jesus being called as a high priest in the order of Melchizedek, offering up prayers and a sacrifice for the people. The author understands that readers will not understand. They are still infants to Christianity. While, by this time they should be teaching, they still have much to learn. The problem the author sees is that they do not really want to learn. They no longer try to understand.

There are things that are beyond our comprehension. But, that should not stop us from trying to understand. It should not stop us from listening. It should not stop us from studying God's Word. I sometimes hear the excuse that someone does not attend community worship because they just don't understand scripture. They don't understand the lessons read or what the pastor's sermon is about. That is not a reason to stay away. If you don't understand, that is all the more reason to hear it. To know Christ and him crucified; to grow in Christ one must be fed with the Word.

See you at Worship where you can hear the word and grow in Christ!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: