Friday, March 23, 2012

2 Samuel 4 - Ishbosheth Murdered

I am still thinking about David's righteousness when it comes to the death of Saul's family. Who can know the motivation of man? They've been warring on and off for years and when the enemy, Ishbosheth, who just happens to be the brother of Jonathan and Michal whom he loved, is killed, David takes vengeance and has the murderer put to death.

I guess I do get it, but, I also think I understand why exactly Rechab and Baanah thought this was a good thing. They certainly would not have expected for their king to hang them over it. What was the alternative? That David, as their king, would have their armies (their families and friends) continue to be killed and to kill others in battles with Saul's house? You can kill the common people, but not the king?

Who can say why David really did anything? I certainly can't. I've seen enough family feuds in my day, to know there really is no rhyme or reason to most of it. But, maybe the killing is over for awhile - at least amongst the Israelites.

No comments: