Monday, March 26, 2012

2 Samuel 7

"...Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far? And yet this was a small thing in your eyes, O Lord God..." (7:18-19 ESV)

Following Worship at Zion yesterday, Howard and I jumped into the car to make the 2-1/2 hour drive to Bark River to Rev. Paul Strom's installation at Salem Lutheran. Since there are only 2 North American Lutheran congregations in the U.P. (Upper Michigan), I had wondered who would be doing the installing and how many clergy would be able to be there to witness the installation. I know his congregation so I knew the house would be full otherwise. When I walked into the sacriste, I was overjoyed to see that our first Bishop, Paull Spring, had made the trip to preach and install Pr. Paul. It was also very good to see that some of our LCMC (and other) clergy friends also were there to Worship and affirm Paul's call to serve in the community.

As Paul faced Bp. Spring, affirming his promises to serve God and the people, I was struck by this very tall man looming over Bp. Spring, yet, humbly vowing to serve, with the help of God. I knew most of the clergy there and recalled the trials that they have gone through to serve God and the community of God faithfully through the years. It has not always been easy. But, more than their faithfulness, I wondered at the faithfulness of God to serve through us, through men like Pr. Paul Strom or Bp. Paull Spring.

Who after all are we, that the LORD should have brought us so far?

No comments: