Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Judges 14 - Wives and Trolls

Samson's riddle is something else!  No one could possibly guess the answer!  No one knew except this Philistine wife which his parents had objected to in the first place.  She had whined and accused Samson of not loving her and whined some more until he told her.  She betrayed his trust, telling the 30 companions.  Samson ends up killing 30 men and leaving his wife.

I don't know what this marriage was based on.    It certainly wasn't trust or love.  I'm guessing it was more, "I'm not supposed to have that so I want her."  Even though he's suppose to be who God sends to deliver Israel from the Philistines, he wants to marry one.  Not good planning.  Just because you want something, doesn't mean it's going to make you happy.  But, scripture does say that this whole wedding was a part of God's plan so that Samson would have a pretext of acting against the Philistines.  Well, it worked.  But, I think this chasing after a woman not suited to him probably caused him more heartache than he had bargained for.

Reminds me of a troll story I heard when I was young.  There is this troll named Hulda (or maybe Huldra).  Hulda looks like a real human woman.  But, she has a tail.  If she can trick a man into marrying, her tail will fall off, but the man will still be married to a troll.  Moral of that story:  Be very careful who you enter into a marriage (any relationship) with.

It is time to hit the road - in the beautiful Blue Grass State this morning - cold and foggy.

No comments: