Thursday, February 9, 2012

Judges 16 - Samson the judge?

I find myself wondering this morning exactly what kind of judge Samson is.  He has not really been a leader of any kind.  Seems to me the only thing he has done is assaulted and killed many Philistines.  Then when they finally catch him, he destroys even more as a vendetta for them taking his eyes out.  If as a judge, he doles out justice, I am afraid I have a little difficulty with his sense of justice.

Regardless, it appears he is called by God to relieve the Israelites of the Philistines who have been persecuting them and they do have a bit of a reprieve for the 20 years that Samson "judges."  I guess maybe we can "excuse" his behavior with these women who are not for him, because it appears that he is still young and immature.   It is hard to imagine any man being stupid (yes, I said stupid) enough to fall into Delilah's snare, not just once, but four times!  It is hard to imagine, but it happens.  Even today, it happens!  If you love me...  then...  How many men (and women) have fallen for that line and followed in the path of their own destruction?

There is only one path to follow.  Steer clear of the path that your wayward friends would cheerfully guide you on.  The only "if you love me, then..." you should be hearing is the one found in St. John, Chapter 21 when Jesus asks Peter, "Do you love me?  And... when Peter answers "Yes Lord, you know that I love you."  Jesus tells Peter, "Tend my sheep."  Real love is not about vengeance.  It is not about ripping apart your enemy.  Real love is about caring for all of the sheep.  It is about caring for and feeding all whom Jesus loves and he loves all enough to die for you.

P.S.  Would have gone into the nazirite stuff, but this is suppose to be a brief blog.  Suffice it to say that I don't cut my own hair... :)  Have a blessed day.

No comments: