Monday, April 22, 2013

Ecclesiastes 10 - Miscellanous Interesting Verses From Eccl 10

LOL!  You are reading the chapters aren't you? How about verse 2? "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." OK... So I won't go there today... But, I thought I'd at least mention it in the blog for the benefit of my friends on the right. It will make them smile. Remember, too, please, it is Solomon's saying, not mine. I'm not exactly sure what he meant by it, other than maybe he was referring to the right and left hand of God.

In case you're not taking my advice and you're not reading the scripture for each day, here are some other interesting and what I would consider pretty common sense ones:

"There is an evil I have seen under the sun, the sort of error that arises from a ruler:" (Eccl 10:5 NIV)  Has any one not witnessed the folly of some of our leaders? So often leaders, rulers, bosses, even servant/leaders in the church think that they are doing the best thing for the people, even while they are so out of touch with the people that they don't have a clue what the the people really need or want. Even pastors sometimes fall into the trap of thinking that they know what is best for a community, when they haven't the slightest clue... It has always amazed me that pastors will come to the U.P. (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) and think they are going to save us Yoopers from our own folly. They have ended up being very busy at changing our lifestyles, rather than accepting the way we live and work and play. They have worried about the fact that so many of us work hard, long hours and don't have all the riches the world has to offer. We have been considered a little backwards and backwoods by some.

I knew one who ended up spending a lot of time worrying about unionizing the logging industry! A lot of time was spent trying to change the way we think and how we live and very little time was spent proclaiming the awesomeness of the Kingdom given (given freely) to all who believe. I asked this one once what the proclamation of Jesus was. He didn't know. It made me wonder about our overseas missions, especially to those countries we consider third world. When missionaries go to other areas of the world, is their primary mission to bring the good news or is to change the people to think and live like we do in the United States? If you're going to be a missionary to the Massai, do you live in a dung hut alongside them sharing the love of God and the good news of His Kingdom or do you show up when it's comfortable trying to change their lifestyles? Are you more worried about westernizing them or proclaiming God's love and forgiveness for all people? It reminds me of how the church worked so hard with the government to Americanize the Native Americans and how many abuses occurred because of this "good will" gesture. (Another reason to think seriously about keeping church and state separate) Remember, just because we think everyone should be as materialistic as we are, doesn't mean everyone wants or needs to live like us. Just because we think we are right in the way we live, does not make it truth for everyone!

Just wondering... what makes a good leader? Is it someone who can serve people where their needs are (where they are) or is it someone who tries to mold everyone to be people just like themselves. If you're going to help someone, meet them where they are. Quit trying to drag them to the place where you want them to be. I quote St. Paul: " To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some." (1 Corinth 9:22)

"If the ax is dull and its edge unsharpened, more strength is needed, but skill will bring success." (10:10)
Anyone who has had to chop firewood to keep warm or cook knows the truth of this one. But, I suppose there are many who have not had to do this and don't know.


"If a snake bites before it is charmed, the charmer receives no fee." (10:11)
This is kind of a "no brainer" and makes me smile. If you're trying to charm a snake (whether a reptile or human) be careful, you may get bit or someone else may get hurt even if it is you who has disturbed the snake.

 "Through laziness, the rafters sag; because of idle hands, the house leaks." (10:18)
 If your rafters sag, it is no one's fault but your own. Unless, of course some natural disaster comes along and makes it so. I know about sagging rafters...

The house I presently live in has been almost completely remodeled since we purchased it. We originally bought it for a get-away for me. At the time, I was finding no time for vacations. If I was lucky, I would get 1 or 2 days off a month. There was just no time to pack up, go out of town and then come back the next day to unpack. We had tried it a few times, but the packing, unpacking, and travel time took up so much time there was no time to rest. So I started looking for a local camp on a river so I could set it up and get to it on my days off, with relative ease and without having to spend hours of the day off just to be able to rest for a few hours.

I fell in love with the location. It had a river at the mouth of a bay. It is definitely in the woods. It had a well and a sewer. But, here's the kicker. The rafters of the house sagged. They sagged so badly that there were 6"X6" beams holding up the ceilings throughout the rooms. The house was condemned. My husband was not impressed with the place. Not only was the house condemned, but it's located in wooded wetlands, which he refers to as a swamp. But, I knew this was the place for me. We began working on repairing it to be suitable for a camp that summer. That fall I resigned and we ended up moving in to it. Some of my family and friends were a little aghast that I would be living in a shack... (Thinking I should be like them and want what they want) The following summer, my husband spent a lot of time repairing the rafters and building an addition so that we would have a bit more space to live in. It took a lot of work to repair those rafters. But, they are repaired, the roof no longer leaks, and with God's blessing, the house will stand at least as long as I do. 

You're rafters sagging? Your roof leaking? The answer to a sagging rafters and a roof that leaks is to fix them and if you're neighbor no longer is able to fix their own due to age or infirmity fix theirs for them, as well!

One last verse to give you something to think about this morning:
"As dead flies give perfume a bad smell, so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor." (Eccl 10:1)

God's Peace - Pr. J
 

No comments: