Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ecclesiastes 9 - Welcome Your Neighbor; Help Those in Need

There is a lot to reflect on in this chapter as there is in any chapter. As I keep reminding you, this blog is to help you continue reading your Bible one chapter at a time. The blog entries are simply my first impressions and random thoughts after I read the chapter. It is meant to help you study and think about what the word is saying to you and to all of us as a whole.

A couple things jumped out at me this morning. First, is the way I dress. As Solomon talks about living a joyful life, he writes: "Always be clothed in white, and always anoint your head with oil." (Eccl 9:8 NIV)

On a recent retreat with our youth, I somehow managed to forget to bring a coat. Temperatures were in the 30's and it was raining. I had to buy a jacket. It was white with pictures of bears on it. My other jackets and coats are all black. After we got back, I wore this jacket to the church. I received a compliment on the jacket from a friend. She was glad to see me out of black. It being the middle of Lent, I had not just been wearing my black outerwear, but had also had occasion to be  wearing a lot of black skirts and suit jackets - more than usual. I often talk to my grandchildren about dressing appropriately as people who don't know you will often judge a person by what they see. Wrong first impressions have a tendancy to build walls and cause problems that aren't even there. Until this friend told me that it was nice to see me in something besides black, I hadn't realized that people may have been seeing my life in Christ as depressing.  

Years ago, I was a Lutheran missionary to a church without walls. The "church" covered a couple counties. The mission was to build up "house" churches in homes, a store front, a community center, even a couple of historic churches that were no longer in use in remote communities. Most people welcomed me quite warmly as the local missionary. A few years after I had moved to another county and another call, I went kayaking around the counties I had previously served. I remember one stop where I had previously felt especially welcomed. This time, I was wearing camouflaged pants and jacket over my swimsuit and had sandals on my feet. This time, I was not welcomed. It was if I was a stranger in their midst. Many did not even recognize me or at least they acted like they didn't. Actually, it was kind of strange, because it was mainly the Lutherans (I am Lutheran) who did not recognize me. Those who did recognize me and welcome me were Roman Catholic or Baptists. Go figure!

Human nature causes us to judge people by what they see and the day that I reentered that community, I entered looking like a vagabond. It is kind of sad when I think about it. Are we not called to welcome all people and to not show partiality to those who are rich or who have positions of authority? But, that is just what human nature leads us to. As for me, I will try to wear more light colored clothing so that the spirit of joy may be more apparent when I encounter others.

The other verses that struck me this morning were:

The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded
than the shouts of a ruler of fools.
Wisdom is better than weapons of war,
but one sinner destroys much good.  (Eccl 9:17,18)

 
I'm thinking of all the noise this week on the news. So many opinions and so few facts! Not many quiet words - lots of loud shouting. News is news! Reporters these days do a bit too much surmising and before you know it people are thinking that what they are hearing are the facts. Need evidence! Need a fair trial! Not sure how I feel about martial law being imposed without it being called what it was - martial law. But, that's just me. I've heard a lot  (a lot of second guessing) about the two brothers who allegedly were involved in the Marathon Bombing. I've even heard crazy statements like parents are responsible for their children's actions even when their children are in their 20's and 30's! Just strange comments, that don't seem to have much wisdom attached and lead to confusion, fear, hurt, and even more anger. But, you know what? I have never heard how many people actually lost their homes in Texas in the fertilizer explosion. I never heard about the genuine needs of the people who were affected there. How we can help those people in need. This week, I've only heard about the need for more laws - more regulation (including from the highest office in this land) - not about how we can reach out to those who have been thrust into conditions that have put them on the fringes, put them in places of poverty and need.
 
Welcome your neighbor. Reach out to them in their time of need - no matter who or where they may be.
 
God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: