Sunday, November 24, 2013

Amos 6 - Complacent?

"Woe to you who are complacent in Zion,
    and to you who feel secure on Mount Samaria..." (Amos 6:1 NIV)

We probably all get a little complacent from time to time. Complacency is when we get too satisfied with the way things are and don't care for or want anything to change. But, is that a good thing? Is it good to go through life without making any changes; with ourselves or the things around us?

We all need change. When I was young, I use to hear this quite often: "When you quit learning, you die." Everyone of us needs to keep learning and growing. St. Paul wrote: "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." (1 Cor 13:11-12 NIV)

We cannot remain babies forever; not, in this world and not in the Kingdom of God. One day, we will all know the truth fully. That day has not yet come. But, it does not mean that we should be complacent and not strive to seek the truth or seek His face.

You think you know Jesus? How well do you know Him? Have you become complacent with a Sunday morning (or less) relationship?

 "I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come." (Eph 1:17-21)  Amen!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: