Monday, November 25, 2013

Amos 7 - Microphones and Hearing

"Then Amaziah said to Amos,  'Get out, you seer! Go back to the land of Judah. Earn your bread there and do your prophesying there. Don’t prophesy anymore at Bethel, because this is the king’s sanctuary and the temple of the kingdom.'” (Amos 7:12-13 NIV)

The king Amaziah does not want to hear the word of the LORD. He does not want the people to hear it, either. His desire is that Amos not speak it any longer at Bethel, lest the people turn and hear the word and worship the LORD, rather than him.

A few months ago, I quit using my lapel mic. I just started speaking louder and using the mic on the pulpit more during worship. You see, every few weeks, someone would turn the mic down and I wouldn't find out until after worship that very few had heard anything I said. I would go back into the sound room after worship and turn the volume up, again. A few weeks later, the volume would be down again, but only on the lapel mics. So, I decided not to keep fighting it and just keep my own volume turned up by speaking louder.

In September, after a summer break, our Sunday school resumed helping to lead worship more often. They pray the prayers of the church every Sunday and on the last Sunday of the month they also read lessons, gather the offering, and usually provide an offering of song as well. They do this mostly from the pulpit so that everyone can hear. During the sharing of the peace, one of our members who wears hearing aids let me know that he couldn't hear a thing. I asked him if it was just the children that he couldn't hear, as they do speak much softer than I do. He replied that he couldn't hear me, either. So, I went back to the sound room. Sure enough, someone had turned the volume on the pulpit microphone down to almost nothing. Nothing else was touched, just the volume on the pulpit mic. I am not sure why whoever is doing this, is doing this. This is not the first time the sound has been turned down when our Sunday School was helping to lead. It has happened more often than I can count. A couple of years ago, it was during their Christmas program. Since, I was sitting in the congregation that time, I realized what was wrong and was able to get up during the middle of it and get it fixed.

Yesterday; though, I felt, for a moment, like we had been speaking to a brick wall; after all, there were many at worship, yesterday, who had not heard the word of the LORD during most of the service. They had not heard the scriptures read. They had not heard the sermon. They had not heard the prayers of the church.

"Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ." (Rom 10:17)

Amaziah's intention was that he be lord of all the people. It was, he professed, his temple and the people would hear and listen to only what he wanted them to hear. I can't help wonder why anyone would want the voice of the LORD, His word not be read, by His littlest children.

May God help us to understand why anyone would persist in closing the mouths of the children. May God help us to pray for such a person and proclaim His grace to them.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: