Tuesday, July 22, 2014

John 3:1-21 Jesus is the Light that Gives Eternal Life

John 3:1-21 NIV
Today, in our reading, we have one of the most well known scripture verses: John 3:16. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

I have a few friends who are non-Trinitarian. I remember one of them asking me what my favorite scripture was. At the time it was John 3:16. She was totally aghast. Her reply was something like: "I should have known." You see, there is something in John 3:16 that I had never thought about and in fact I still do not see how it means what she thought it meant. She felt we (Trinitarians) use it to justify our belief in the Trinity. I had never thought about it that way. I saw and still see John 3:16 as a  reminder that God was willing to give his only begotten Son for us and as a promise that all who believe in His Son will have eternal light.

The light has come into the world. The light is Jesus the Christ. Those who receive the light will inherit eternal life.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: