Friday, July 4, 2014

Luke 22:39-46 Wake and Pray

Luke 22:39-46 NIV
I remember a prayer vigil years ago that began following Worship on Maundy Thursday and ended Good Friday at Worship. At least one person was signed up to be in the sanctuary every hour praying. No one signed up for the hours from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. so I took those hours. I probably didn't last an hour. I woke up a little after 6 a.m., on my knees, leaning against the baptismal font. The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes were Ken and Anita L., on their knees, praying, at the altar rail. They had not disturbed me. When they saw me sleeping, they just walked around me to pray. Now, Jesus, on the other hand had something to say to his disciples about sleeping while they should have been praying. “Why are you sleeping?” he asked them. “Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.” (vs 46)

What a lesson for me! I could not stay awake for those three hours. Sleep was too great a temptation. Pray that we may not fall into temptation and may God help us sleepers to rise and wake up from the dead. (See Eph 5:14).

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: