Sunday, May 3, 2015

1 Peter 1:1-12 Grace and Peace Be Yours In Abundance

1 Peter 1:1-12
I was recently asked to think about the most awesome thing that has ever happened to me. I will tell you. It happened about 30 years ago. It was the day that I met the Holy Spirit. On that day I got to know the Spirit as a living reality. Previously, I had known about the Holy Spirit; but, did not know the Spirit. That day, kneeling beside my bed praying, I came to know the Spirit. No man laid his hands on me. God did. By God's grace I came to know and experience life in and with the Spirit of Christ. Words cannot even begin to describe the joy and peace that I experienced that day and since. Nothing in this world can compare to being in relationship with God the Father; God the Son; and God the Holy Spirit. If you are looking for joy and peace in this world give up that search. It is not here. These things come living in relationship with the living God, not by possessions in this world. As children of Almighty God, we have an inheritance much more precious than any silver or gold.

God had been preparing me for things to come; for immediately following this introduction, I was tested tremendously. But, I persevered (not just persevered; but grew in Christ) because God was with me. Listen to the words of St. Peter: "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials." (vs 3-6)

In Christ, you have been born again. There will be trials; but, in the midst of these trials God is with all His children. Persevere in faith and you will know joy and peace even in the times of trials.

May grace and peace be yours in abundance, through Jesus Christ, our Lord, by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Pr. J.

No comments: