Sunday, June 21, 2015

Rev 14:1-5 144,000?

Rev 14:1-5 NIV
I cannot wait to meet these 144,000 who have never lied; who have remained virgins; who are completely blameless. Well, actually verse five says no lie was found in their mouths. In fact, all who believe in the life giving sacrifice of Jesus have had our sins washed away by the blood of the lamb. They no longer exist.

But, I am not sure if this 144,000 refers to all who have been saved by the sacrifice of Jesus or if this vision of 144,000 refers specifically to a sub-group of God's people.

Years ago, I studied with a group who believed that only 144,000 would enter into God's kingdom. The rest of us believers were going to get to live awesomely perfect and eternal lives here on earth. I couldn't quite get that picture into my head. You see, they already knew that the 144,000 slots had been filled and I was informed that I would not get to go to heaven. There was no room left for me. If I joined their church I would get to live here on earth with my family. That was a bit confusing as I am not sure who my family would be. Would that be my children and their children and all their spouses? Would it be my parents and siblings and their multitudes of spouses? How about my husband's family? Would we all be living under the same roof? I have to tell you just as I told them that I want to be with Jesus. I want to be with my Father in heaven. I do not want to live on a new earth no matter how perfect anyone suggests it might be. Eventually, I got shunned by this group of people for insisting living in God's presence would be much more desirable than living eternally in a new house, in a new world, here on earth.

144,000 or so many more than can even be counted, I believe that all who believe that Jesus is Lord will inherit their places in the Kingdom of God for that is what Jesus promised. There will be more than a few of us, who have been washed by the blood of the lamb, singing a new song.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: