Monday, July 20, 2015

Holy Spirit Sanctifies; Makes Us Holy

The Third Article.
Of Sanctification.
I believe in the Holy Ghost; one holy Christian Church, the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
What does this mean?--Answer.
I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Ghost has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith; even as He calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian Church on earth, and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith; in which Christian Church He forgives daily and richly all sins to me and all believers, and at the last day will raise up me and all the dead, and will give to me and to all believers in Christ everlasting life. This is most certainly true.
 
 
It is by God the Father that we are created. It is by the life giving sacrifice of God the Son that we have been saved. It is by the Holy Spirit that we are sanctified. In the past I have been warned that it might be best not to use the word sanctify as many would not understand what the word means. Sanctify mean to be made holy. The Holy Spirit makes us holy. Jesus died for our salvation. He died that we might be reconciled to God our Father. This is good news. It is by the power of the Holy Spirit that this truth is revealed and preached. It is not by our own reason or strength; but, by the power of the Holy Spirit that we are able to receive this good news as our own truth.
 
May God grant that the eyes, ears, and hearts of the world be open to hear and receive the truth, who is Jesus the Christ, that we might be made holy by the power of the Holy Spirit.
 
God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: