Monday, January 4, 2016

Bless Those Who Curse You

“But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you." Luke 6:27-28 NRSV

I spent Christmas day driving. I left home about 8 a.m. and by 5 p.m. I had reached the southern portion of lower Michigan on my way to South Carolina. I was hungry and needed to gas up the truck. The only things I had eaten all day were sunflower seeds and pears. I found a gas station and asked the man at the counter if anything in town was open so that I could get something to eat. He said no. I bought a "Slim Jim" and a "Coca Cola" for supper. While I was paying for my "supper," the man was mumbling under his breath something about a woman running around looking for someplace to eat when she should be home cooking for her children. There was no one else in the gas station for him to be talking to; so, I was quite aware that the mumbling was solely for my benefit. Maybe, he was just having a bad day. Maybe, he was upset because he was working and not spending the day with his own family. But, it was a good reminder to me not to be judging people that you know nothing about. How could he know that I would be driving for two days to see my family? How could he know that my children were grown and have families of their own?  Rather than react negatively to his ramblings, I smiled and made sure I said "Merry Christmas" a multitude of times before I left. I prayed that God would bless him by opening his eyes and heart as I continued on my way.

The best way to react to those who would judge or hate you is to bless them and pray for them. Only God can change their hearts.

God's Peace - Pr. J

P.S. The man at the toll booth at the Mackinac Bridge was awesome! His Christmas greeting was so friendly and joyous in spite of the fact that he was working on Christmas day. He was handing out candy canes to those who were crossing the bridge. A little gift like that was a huge gift for me on Christmas Day!

No comments: