Friday, January 22, 2016

It Will Be Given You


"Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Matt 7:7-8 NRSV

This morning I would really like the Lord to produce a couple of sermons for me. It would be good if I didn't have to focus on writing them; but, that's not how it works. God is not going to send it directly to my printer. I must do some listening, some searching, in order to know what He would have me say at Carol's funeral tomorrow and at worship on Sunday.

God does, indeed, gift us good gifts without our asking. He gave us His only begotten Son without our asking; without our even realizing that we needed him. But, sometimes we must ask in order to for us to be open to hear His word and His will for us. It's not a matter of God not giving them to us freely. It's a matter of whether we are willing to receive them or not.

The older I get, the more I realize that in order to know and do God's will I have to practice the presence of God so that I can hear Him. I have to actively seek Him because my human nature would shut Him out as I attempt to go it alone, without Him. This, I have found, is not a very wise idea. Of course, God is always with me; but, there are times I shut the door on Him and do not listen; do not hear His word or His will. Without Him, I can do nothing good. But, with Him all things are possible.

Search His word and you will find His good will for you and for all people.

"For this purpose he called you through our proclamation of the good news, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ." 2 Thess 2:14

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: