Sunday, January 3, 2016

Communion; A Gift From God

 
For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes." 1 Cor 11:23-26 NRSV

It is Sunday morning and I am not leading worship today. I am on vacation. But, I will be worshipping with a small community of saints. Christmas Eve was the last time I received the Sacrament of Holy Communion. I have attended worship since and heard the word; but, there was no Communion offered or received. Over the years, I have found that I need to receive this gift often. Life just seems to go better for me (and everyone around me) when I receive the Lord's body and blood into mine; when I receive this means of grace.

I am a sinner not worthy to come before the Lord let alone to abide in him. Yet, I am able because of his shedding of his blood for me and for all people. It is a gift from God. Who, in their right minds, would turn down the opportunity to receive the Word and Sacrament, the means that God uses to impart His grace to us? So today, I will be attending an LCMS mission congregation, Faith Lutheran in Beaufort, SC so that I might be fed with both Word and Sacrament.

I pray that everyone reading this today is planning on worshipping with their local congregation, as well!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: