Sunday, August 21, 2011

I Cannot, But God Can

Genesis 40-41

Usually our dreams are lost to our remembrance a few moments after we've woke up.  But, every now and then you might remember one for a day or two and you might wonder what they meant.  Why are they so important that you remember them for days to come?    We might wonder what our subconscious is trying to tell us. 

Joseph, the dreamer who had dreamed that his family would bow down before him is now involved in interpreting dreams.  First he interprets the baker and the cupbearer's dreams accurately even in regards to the time these things will happen. Yet, he tells them both, "Do not interpretations belong to God?" (40:8)  And when Pharoah asks him to interpret his dreams for him, Joseph tells him, "I cannot do it, but God will give Pharoah the answer he desires."  (41-16) Then, Pharoah tells him the dream and out of the lips of Joseph comes the interpretation.  

The interpretations, as well as the dreams, in these cases came from God.  God was warning the people, but they did not understand.  They needed an interpreter.  Joseph says that it is God who is the interpreter.  Now and then someone will thank me as they tell me how much they enjoyed "my" sermon.  I usually remind them, that they should thank God.  Because, if they hear a good sermon, if they have heard the Word, it is not because of my work.  It is God who is speaking the Word to them, through the power of the Holy Spirit. 

I cannot preach, but Christ who abides in me certainly can...  So all that we say and think and do that is truth, that is edifying is Christ, not we, not me.  As Joseph did, may we always remember to give God the glory, for without Him, we can do nothing.  

No comments: