Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Not...

Genesis 35

The geneology of Esau the father of the Edomites...  I know how much some of you like geneologies - not!  Whenever I read them, I try to read them aloud so I can remember a few of them a little better.  My memory is not so good. 

Esau married women from the exact place his father Isaac told his brother Jacob not to, that is Canaan.  But, after marrying them and having a few children, he found that the land was not enough to support both he and his brother Jacob.  So he took his entire household and all that he had acquired and left to settle in the hill country of Seir. 

So much moving around!  In the last 40 years, my household has been moved 15 times - across country - overseas.  It entailed a lot of work!  We've been here in this place for about 4 years.  Just thinking about packing up and moving again tires me out.  We have many snow-birds up here in the U.P. - that is retired people who pack up their households and move south during the too cold winters and then back north for the cooler summers.  My husband sometimes hints strongly that he'd like to do that once we retire permanently.  That's probably another - not!  Sounds to me like we'd just be making more work for ourselves.  I have no interest in making arrangements for those kinds of journeys twice a year.  My idea of traveling is to pack a small bag and get on a plane. 

Esau, like many people today, packed up everyone and everything to journey to a place where they "could make a living."  Esau nor any of the other early wilderness travelers had to fight traffic, but think about how they got where they were going.  I don't imagine they were easy journeys. For me - I thank God that I it's been a while since he's moved me - I'd rather not!

I will be leaving in a few minutes for another Bible Study.  Only have a few miles to go. On the way, I will probably only meet one or two vehicles, if any.  That is all the journeying I want to do.  I pray that it stays that way...

I will also pray that I wake up a bit earlier tomorrow so I have time to really think about Joseph's story :)  In the meantime, even though it may seem like hard work to open up your Bible every day (requires just a bit of self-discipline) to follow the journeys of the characters you find there; at the end of the journey you will find that it has been well worth the time and effort to keep on turning the pages and reading.  The purpose of this blog; afterall, is to remind you to keep on reading the Holy Scriptures - 1 page at a time :)





No comments: