Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Like Father - Like Son

Genesis 26

Hmmm - didn't we hear this story once before.  Isaac pretends that his wife Rebekah is his sister to protect himself.  Back in Chapter 20 didn't Isaac's father, Abraham, say the same of his wife, Sarah, to protect himself.  Is this genetic or had Isaac heard the story and thought it might be a useful strategy for him, as well.

I sometimes shudder at the thoughts of what my children and grandchildren have learned from me.  Some things were good (I hope) - some not so good.  I have tried, where possible, to make corrections, so that my mistakes don't negatively impact others in the long term.  But, once a mistake is made, there usually not much we can do to fix it except repent - apologize - and strive to not make the same mistakes again.  I also find myself praying that God would intercede that the mistakes I've made would not impact others.  Simply put - I pray that God would fix my mistakes so that my actions would not bring harm to others.

It's not all bad....  Notice too - that God promises this son of Abraham that he will be blessed because of his father Abraham.

May God help us all to be more aware of how our words and actions affect the lives of others, not just those around us, but sometimes for generations to come.

No comments: