Monday, August 15, 2011

Playing Games

Genesis 32-33

Lots of angels showing up in the lives of God's chosen people...  God chooses whom he will choose.  I'm just not all that comfortable with Jacob's sneakiness, his shrewdness (sly as a serpant comes to mind).  He fears the wrath of his brother whose blessing he stole, so he sets out to win him over; not out of love but to protect his own life.  He sends his servants with a huge gift ahead of him to Esau.  He sends his first wife, Leah, and his children out in front of him.  He sets his servants and his family between himself and his enemy, his brother.  But, God will choose whom he will choose and he has chosen Jacob, in spite of his very human nature or maybe because of.  Who can know the mind of God?

I have to confess that my uncomfortableness with Jacob, Isaac and Abraham is directly related to who I am, a sinner for sure. One who does not like playing games.  I don't like playing people, don't like playing politics (especially not in the church) to save or advance myself or anyone else.  And if put in a situation where someone is trying to get me to "play" I will usually let it be known that I am not interested in games - in twisting the truth.  I don't like tiptoeing around the truth.  The truth is what it is.  I tell my granddaughters and confirmands often that they need to watch what they say and do - to watch the integrity of their words - and if honesty is going to hurt someone unnecessarily then they should consider keeping their tongues to themselves.  Don't twist the story with their lips - don't be hurting others with their words.  And... if I think you're lieing or otherwise being just plain old sneaky to justify your own actions or save yourself, I will probably call you on it.  There is nothing we can do to justify ourselves or to save ourselves - that work was done by Jesus on the cross.  So cut out the games and live - enjoy the life that God gave you to live, one day, one moment at a time.  One of my granddaughters was told not long ago, by one of her great-great uncles that this moment is the only moment you have so you need to live the moment.  Yes, we have the opportunity to live in this world and the kingdom of God - right now!  What a privilege! And it goes a whole lot smoother when we're not busy coming up with a new game to play.

So now you know, at least in part, why my comments on Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob have been slanted toward their sinful natures.  That and the fact that I think we need to be reminded that we are all sinners, including these saints of old, who by faith, not their good works, were saved.  It is indeed by faith that we are all saved - not our works as we all fall short.

Thanks be to God for only through his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord we are justified and saved! 

No comments: