Thursday, January 5, 2012

Remembering the Water and Dry Land

Joshua 4

I guess I'm going to have to be more careful about what I write about each morning.  Even though I'm not remembering what comes in the next chapter, I do remember it.  I guess in reading the Bible through over and over again some of it actually sticks.  This morning is not the first morning that I've read a chapter and realize that it talks about what I wrote about the day before.  I'm referring to the 23rd verse:  "For the LORD your God dried up the waters of the Jordan for you until you crossed over, as the LORD your God did to the Red Sea, which he dried up for us until we crossed over..." (NRSV)

We remember by repeatedly observing traditions.  We gather together to hear and to study the word.  Some today seem to think that this gathering together to read, hear, and study or meditate on the word of God at Worship or in Bible Studies (even if they're on the internet) is archaic - it doesn't have any purpose except to perform the basic requirements of the law - like show up at Christmas and/or Easter so that we can maintain our church membership.  If that is what you think, send me your name, so I can add it to my prayer list.

We also remember by observing symbols that remind us of what the LORD has done for us.  Those 12 stones set up in Gilgal were symbols used to remind the people what the LORD had done for them.  They were used to remind them that the LORD had led them out of Egypt, dried up the waters of the Red Sea so that they could pass, led them through the wilderness for forty years, and then (once again) dried up the waters of the river Jordan so that the Israelites could enter and take possession of the promised land.  Most of us have symbols in our sanctuaries (as well as in our homes) that also help us to remember what our LORD has done for us.  The first and foremost is the cross in most Christian churches.  It reminds us of the sacrifice that God made so that we might also pass through the waters safely, through the wilderness and into the promised land.  The baptismal font reminds us not only of the journey of the Israelites as they passed through the waters of the Red Sea and Jordan unharmed so that they might receive a new life in the promised land; it is a reminder to us that we too have passed through the waters, by the power of the Holy Spirit, and receive the Kingdom of God, as His chosen people, His adopted children.  The church is full of symbols that remind us of what God has done for us.  The water in the font itself reminds us that we have been washed - cleansed - in the waters of baptism.  It is sad that so few take remembering what God has done and is doing so lightly that we see them so rarely.  If you are one of those, send me your name, that I might add you to my prayer list :) 

God's Peace - Pr. Judy

No comments: