Saturday, April 14, 2012

1 Kings 2 - Peacetime Killings & Biases

David is dead and his son, Solomon reigns. In time of peace, Solomon has his political enemies put to death. Solomon has Joab killed for killing (avenging) 2 men in a time of peace. Both of these deaths, at the hands of Joab, took place while David was in charge. Yup! Makes sense to me. Sorry, I am not sure why I think I need to focus on defending Joab. I just can't seem to help it. Seems to me he has done his best to do what is right for the people. David and Solomon had biases against Joab. I have a bias that favors him.

Joab has given much - at least that's my opinion - which reminds me to remind you that this blog is here to help those who are reading the Bible from front to back to keep on reading, one or two chapters at a time. Much of what I write is gut reaction. It will sometimes reveal my biases - my opinions - which are not necessarily truth. Do NOT take everything I write as gospel. But, hopefully what I write will help you to think a little more about what you've read and maybe recognize some of your own biases in understanding what you read.

No comments: