Wednesday, April 4, 2012

2 Samuel 16

I am still wondering where Mephibosheth's loyalties lie. He has stayed behind in Jerusalem as Absalom takes over the city. On one hand he is reported to have said, "Today the house of Israel will give me back the kingdom of my father." But, on the other hand, whose fruit and bread and wine was it that Ziba brought to David in the wilderness? Would it not have been Mephibosheth's, Ziba's master's provisions?

And, we have David sparing Shimei's life even as Shimei is calling him out for the bloodshed that David has caused in the past. David is reluctant to harm Shimei. It appears that David is concerned about the truth in Shimei's words. David is concerned that maybe it was the LORD who instructed Shimei to curse him.

And Absalom, hears the promises of David's friend Hushai to be loyal to him. It appears that Absalom is believing the lies.

Words can really be deceiving. I have been trying, for as long as they have lived, to teach my granddaughters to not only hear with their ears, but with their eyes and all their senses. Watch how they sit or stand, watch their facial expressions, look into their eyes (if they let you), listen, as well, to the tone of their voice, and you will hear a much fuller story than the one you hear only with your ears. They tend to think I am a crazy old woman who is over protective and usually overbearing. They think I assume too much. They don't get that I am actually hearing and not just listening to them. And, I think that they have may be listening to me, but not hearing. Hearing requires more than the work of the ears...

No comments: