Wednesday, April 18, 2012

1 Kings 6 - Smells of the Temple

The description of Solomon's Temple always boggles my mind. It is hard to actually imagine what it actually looks like from just reading the description.

The first thing that comes to mind; though, is not what it looks like, but what it smells like. I love cedar trees! I live in a swamp with at least a few cedars standing around. I love walking down the path just to be able to breathe in their aroma.

But, I wonder if once the offerings and sacrifices were begun in the temple, if that cedar scent remained in the temple or did the smell of burned fat and flesh overwhelm the building so much that the sweet smell of cedar was a thing of the past?

What an amazing building this temple must have been! So many offerings went into the building - so much of the people's time, talents, and gifts.

No comments: