Thursday, May 16, 2013

Isaiah 14 - The Fallen Morning Star

Hate to disappoint you all this morning, but I need to hit the road to do a long distance hospital visit so don't have the time to research chapter 14 as well as I would like to. Maybe, you would like to?

Verses 12 through 15, in particular, leaves us with a question. Who, exactly, is this "morning star, son of the dawn" that has fallen from heaven?

"How you have fallen from heaven,
morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to the earth,
you who once laid low the nations!
You said in your heart,
“I will ascend to the heavens;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,
on the utmost heights of Mount Zaphon.
I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.”

But you are brought down to the realm of the dead,to the depths of the pit." (NIV)

First choice is the king of Babylon is the fallen morning star, as in our previous chapter that is what is being prophecied. We need to take a look at these verses in context.

Second choice would be Satan. These would be some of the verses that some Christians traditionally use to support the concept of the fallen angel.

Third choice; although, not a good one... would be the one that some use to deny the deity of the Christ and that is that the morning star refers to Jesus the Christ. See 2 Peter 1:19, Rev 2: 28, and Rev 22:16. These all refer to the Messiah as the morning star. However, we need to remember that the evil one is quite capable of disguising himself as the angel of light. "And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light." (2 Cor 11:14)

Overall, it is difficult for me not to see the fall of Satan in this reading, mainly because this is what has been engrained in me from early years. Satan, the anti-Christ's, desire is to be seated above the throne of God. On the other hand, this prophecy can be legitimately said to have been fulfilled with the fall of the last king of the Babylonian empire,  Belshazzar. (See Daniel 5 for his fall). I personally am thinking that this prophecy could well have two meaning - two fulfillments.

The good news here in this chapter is that God's ways will not be thwarted. He will have compassion and He will save His people and that His people (according to this prophecy is Israel) will be united in peace with foreigners (this I am reading as you and me - all who believe in salvation through Jesus the Christ).

Got to get moving! Have a blessed day!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: