Thursday, May 23, 2013

Isaiah 21 - Looking Out

I am having just a bit of a problem focusing this morning. It is already dawn. Maybe the sunrise has already come; but, it is hard to tell. The skies are once again darkened with clouds. My eyes keep straying out toward the river as I hope for the sun to show its face so that I might get out on the water today. I am on the lookout for sunny skies and calm seas. I'm afraid both may not happen for some time.

I am on the lookout, this morning, for signs that summer will actually come soon, for things that please, while the lookout in today's reading is waiting to hear the news that "Babylon is fallen."

Part of my job description (whether anyone likes it or not) is to be on the lookout - to be observant. I look for both the gifts of God so that we might be good stewards of God's gifts. I also watch for those things which need to be avoided. It absolutely drives some members of my family bonkers that I spend time watching for things that need to be avoided or stopped before they begin. I definitely adhere to the saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." (Benjamin Franklin) In order to know what needs preventing, we need to be on the lookout for those things that might cross our path that will cause much pain and suffering. And... even if it looks good, but will bring danger, I don't have a problem calling it for what it is. That is, warning others.

Not long after the Boston Marathon Bombing my husband (who is a retired Marine) and I had a conversation about being aware of our surroundings at all times. I found it quite interesting that he does not look out for dangers in the crowds around him, while I stay on the lookout for things that may bring unwanted surprises. I have been this way most of my life. I don't know if it's learned, genetic, or simply a gift from God. Sometimes, standing on a watchtower gives us this broader view so that we can be alerted in ample time to prevent tragedy. At other times, it is simply a distraction keeping us from seeing and enjoying the intricate and infinite possibilities that are close up.

Whatever, I apologize for being distracted this morning. Watch... Keep alert!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: