Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mark 4:1-20 Planting

My first garden, years ago, was a travesty. Well, not totally, a few things grew. But, my cucumbers, which grew to full size were orange. It was just weird. I found there were a couple of problems that I had not considered. First, there was not enough drainage as the garden was at the bottom of a slope and second; the soil was not good for cucumber growth. That was my last year for cucumbers in North Carolina.

For good growth there must be a good start. The ground must be just right to receive the seeds and help them to grow. There must be enough water, but not too much and there must be enough sunlight and, again, not so much that they burn and die.

And, so, we have the parable of the sower. I am always astounded when people tell me their children have never been in a church. They want them to make their own choices of religion when they grow up. I'm thinking this is an excuse given mostly by people in whom the seed has not been placed in fertile ground in the first place, My concern is that if they do not prepare their children to receive the Word as adults, they will be like the path where once the seed has been planted, the birds will eat it up. Or, like the thorny or rocky places where plants do not grow well. There is a chance, a small chance, that they will grow; but, odds are against it.

Like the garden that I planted without much forethought; so parents who do not plan ahead and give their children fertile ground to grow in, the fruit will not be what we hope for. I have known full grown adults who have never been to a worship service - not in their whole lives. And, they are genuinely afraid to enter because they do not know what to expect. I have just never figured out how anyone could think that their children will be able to make a real choice, if the parents do not even begin to teach them what their choices are when they are young.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: