Friday, March 14, 2014

Mark 8:22-38 Get Behind Me Satan!

"Get behind me, Satan!"

I love reading the stories about some of the events in Jesus' life. He can be so sweet! When I read some of these stories, I cannot help but wonder what people would do if I acted like that.

For example: a blind man is brought to him for healing and what does do? He spits on the man's eyes. Yep, I can already see what would happen if I spit on some one's eyes.

Then, there is the story about how after predicting his persecution and death and Peter rebukes him for talking like that. What is Jesus' reply?  "Get behind me, Satan!" (Mark 8:33 NIV) Can the reaction if you talked to someone like that? I confess, I have. It does not make for warm and fuzzy relationships. But, still I would probably do it again if the occasion called for it.

Jesus' words and actions are not always what we expect. We expect him to be the most generous, indulgent person ever - never offending anyone. The fact is that he offended a lot of people. He offended them so much he ended up on the cross.

But, I find, that often, the most offensive of all of Jesus' words, to many, are the words he used when "... he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.” (Mark 8:34-38)

Tough words, indeed, to swallow for those who choose to gain the world; who are ashamed to follow in the footsteps of Christ.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: