Monday, December 22, 2014

Romans 14 Loose Lips Sink Relationships

Romans 14 NIV
Many of my family members and friends had already lost their lives in death to causes that were related either directly or indirectly to alcohol or other drugs. Although, still drinking, on occasion, I had already been questioning how it was that so many who had been close to those who died from alcohol and drug related causes would continue to abuse these substances.

Today we have the reading that prompted me to finally stop drinking alcoholic beverages for my own pleasure, once and for all.
"
"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall." (vs 19-21)

Drinking, I found, did not generally lead to peace. In fact, it generally led to disputes and divisions; some big, some small. It did not generally edify anyone. Although, I had by this time learned (the hard way) not to get drunk myself, I would still have a few drinks with family and friends. But, even this usually led to disaster. It was not good. Remember, the saying "Loose lips sink ships" from World War II? Well, alcohol and drugs loosen lips and loose lips sink relationships, as well. It doesn't take too many drinks to loosen lips.

Then, within one week ,I heard two different family members say things to the effect of: "Well, even Judy likes to drink." I was like, "What!? It's my fault they drink? It's my fault their lives are such a mess?!" I decided then that no one would ever be able to use me as an excuse for their abusive use of alcohol again. They could try. But, they would not be able to say honestly again, "even Judy drinks."

The end result was that I do not drink alcoholic beverages. I may unwittingly be a stumbling block to others; but, it will not be because of my use of alcohol. "It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall." (vs 21)

We are three days before Christmas. Many of my loved ones lost their lives during the Advent season. Please, be careful if you are drinking or drugging. We are free to choose what to eat or drink according to our own conscience. But, be careful that you do not become someone else's stumbling block; the cause of their demise. Do not turn anyone's laughter into sorrow because you believe that the way to your own happiness is getting drunk or high. Substance abuse destroys relationships. It destroys and takes away any opportunity to live life. It doesn't give. It takes life.

Live life in Christ and truly enjoy life!

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: