Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Romans 15:14-21 NIV Make It Your Ambition To Proclaim the Good News

Romans 15:14-21 NIV
I woke up this morning, mistakenly, thinking that it was Christmas morning. You see, I have a few services to attend today and for me, Christmas day is the day to celebrate Christ's birth. It just seems natural to me to celebrate his birth on Christmas Day. I've never quite adjusted to these early Christmas Eve Services. Something about them just doesn't seem quite right. For one; those who are traveling on Christmas Eve often don't get the opportunity to worship if there are no Christmas Day services. Being the wife of a retired Marine, I, remember many Christmas Eve's traveling and missing out on many Christmas Worship Services because there were none on Christmas Day. Secondly, I've always had the fear that Christmas has become so secularized that people would rather not spend the actual holiday as a Holy Day; but, more in line with the expectations of the world. I've kind of thought that maybe Jesus was taking a backseat on Christmas day.

I, personally, feel like I'm slacking by not sharing the Good News on Christmas Day. For years, I insisted on both an eve and a day service. However, due to lack of attendance; (the organist, usher, and me showed up), I finally acquiesced. Now, I go out and try to visit all of our shut-ins on Christmas Day, so that I am still able to proclaim:
For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of His government and peace
There will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,
To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
From that time forward, even forever.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.
Isaiah 9:6,7
 
I also insisted that we put in a midnight service to replace the service that had been deleted the following morning. We celebrate Christ's birth at Zion, not only at 6 pm on Christmas Eve; but, also at 11 pm. I have a notion that 11 pm might be closer to the time of Christ's actual birth and the service tends to last into the first minutes of Christmas morning.

Despite my personal preferences, it most probably does not really matter when we actually gather to commemorate Christ's birth. We should all be gathering often not only to commemorate his birth, but his life, his death, his resurrection, and his ascension into the Kingdom that he has prepared for us. In every season and in every place, we should, as St. Paul did, make it our ambition to proclaim the Good News so that those who have never heard will hear and understand. Jesus the Christ was born and lived and died and lives again for you! Enter into his peace.

God's Peace - Pr. J

P.S. As for me, I will celebrate Christ's birth in community today and tomorrow with those who cannot be with us in community this evening. I hope those of you who will gather as community to worship today, will consider doing the same. Merry Christmas!

No comments: