Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Romans 8:18-30 Praying In and With Creation

Romans 8:18-30 NIV

Wolf Point, Keweenaw Peninsula, MI
Years ago, I took a three month sabbatical on Lake Superior. I paddled about 1/3 of the southern shoreline, sleeping in a tent on sometimes some pretty rocky and isolated shorelines. It was very cold and rainy that summer. The ice did not leave the lake until a week or so before I left. There were times when I did not leave the tent much due to the weather. The theme for this sabbatical was "Praying with Creation" from these verses in Romans 8. During the evenings (and when it was storming), I read and studied the life of Bishop Frederic Baraga, an early Roman Catholic missionary to the region. While out on the water, alone, I spent a whole lot of time praying within the context of God's beautiful creation. I prayed the Small Catechism - many times! I prayed for the people who lived in the homes I paddled by. I prayed for the members of my congregations; as well as my family and other friends. I prayed for God's creation; that as stewards of the God's creation, we might begin to do a better job of caring for it. The Spirit groaned within me when I knew not what or how to pray. And, it was indeed in those moments that I was reminded that God is still in charge and He has a plan - a plan that is for the good of all who love Him, who are called according to His purpose.

A very strange dream woke me the other morning. The sky was dark. It was filled with falling satellites. Satellites used to provide us with television, telephones, internet, radar, gps, etc., etc., literally blackened the sky and they were falling; crashing to the earth, endangering everything on the planet, including humankind. It is not only the earth and all that is in and on it that humankind is using up for our own pleasure and convenience; but, even the skies...

I am well aware that many theologians would have us know that the creation in Romans 8 refers to fallen man, ourselves. There are those who refuse to see that the living things around us actually live. However, that said, I cannot read Romans without also being reminded that the whole creation that surrounds us is indeed groaning under the stress we have put it. It grieves me to know that we so unjudiciously use fossil fuels to the detriment of the land, sea, and skies. I wonder how wise it is to be filling our skies with satellites for our convenience? Our waste pollutes the whole creation.

I do not find it so unbelievable that the whole of creation is groaning for our redemption. Why would it not, in light of the fact that until fallen man is redeemed we can not fully comprehend what we have done and continue to do to God's whole creation? We will most probably continue to abuse and destroy it.

May God help us to be better stewards of His whole creation; not just for the sake of the creation around us, but for the sake of humankind.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: