Thursday, January 15, 2015

1 Corinth 11:1-16 Long or Short Hair?

1 Corinithians 11:1-16 NIV
Here is a very confusing reading. It has been and continues to be debated as to what it actually means. Should men wear short hair and women long? St. Paul asks: "Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has a long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given as her covering."

First off, I'm thinking that most men in Jesus' day wore their hair a bit longer than many today. so what does Paul mean? Is there a length that he considers too long? Is there a length for women's hair that is too short? It is also difficult for me to grasp whether this is from God or Paul for the sake of respect toward local customs. After all, there is the Nazirite vow to consider. Those who made this vow were/are not allowed to cut their hair, as in the case of Samson. Numbers 6:5 says: “During the entire period of their Nazirite vow, no razor may be used on their head. They must be holy until the period of their dedication to the Lord is over; they must let their hair grow long." In Leviticus (19:26-27) we read:  “Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."

I think that it is important to note that this Paul's discourse on the hair comes immediately following Paul's exhortation to be all things to all people and not to do things that might cause weaker consciences to stumble and fall. It comes in the midst of Paul's exhortations to not do anything that would bring division. Were the Corinthians resorting to arguing about the length of hair others should have rather than sharing the gospel? Is Paul attempting to stop divisions that are brought about by personal customs on length of hair so that they would focus on the more important things; you know, like the gospel? If so, he appears to have possibly made the length of hair even more divisive, as we sometimes still waste time debating it today.

As for me and my weaker conscience, I wear long hair. I don't have much time in my life for that type of vanity. I don't have and am unwilling to give up precious time to groom my hair so that it conforms to the way people around me might think the hair of a woman of my advancing age be. I am not going to a beauty parlor every couple of weeks for a trim or dye. Gray is good. Usually, when people suggest I should cut it my response is something like "Actually I was thinking about natural dreadlocks. It would only take a few days for this mess." After comments like that my family usually says nothing more about my hair for awhile. I think they may fear that I would do it.

Whether we wear our hair long or short makes little difference to our salvation. We are saved by faith alone. As for women wearing a head covering, I confess, I take comfort in Paul's words: "...if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God." (vs 15, 16)

Have a blessed day...

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: