Sunday, January 11, 2015

1 Corinthians 9:19-23 NIV A Servant's Heart

1 Corinthians 9:19-23 NIV
We are free to do as we please. St. Paul chose to use his freedom to become a slave (servant) to everyone to win as many to Christ as possible. He did not lord it over others. He became like them so that they would be open to hearing the Word.

If proclaiming the gospel is a priority for us in this world then sometimes we have to give up a few things (die to self) in order that others might be willing to listen and hear. Those who would serve others need to be willing and able to walk, as the saying goes, a mile in the shoes of others.

My husband and I own an adult foster care. Direct care is not one of the easiest professions. Not everyone is called to the health care profession. It takes a lot of patience as well as a lot of compassion and empathy. It takes a bit of dying to self for the sake of others. My husband does the hiring after I review the applications. Since you cannot work in health care if you have certain things on your criminal record, that is one of the primary things I look for along with experience. I check the Michigan Corrections web-site to see if they have spent any time in prison or if they have any arrests for sexual misconduct that they did not report on their applications. They will have to have a more thorough background check later if we decide to hire them. I also always check (I believe most employers today do) Facebook and other social media. I want to know if the attitude I see on their page is all about "me" or if they have a servants heart. If you want to serve the elderly, the physically or mentally disabled know that you cannot do it well unless you are willing to give up a part of yourself and walk a mile in their shoes. Compassion, empathy, and integrity are all necessary attributes for one who would serve others.

We are free to do as we please. But, servants are willing to die for the sake of others. Jesus did.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: