Sunday, January 25, 2015

1 Corinthinians 16:19-24 Blessings or Curses

1 Corinthians 16:19-24 NIV
So much for being sweet... St. Paul can be quite tough. He sends warm greetings to the church in Corinth. He sends his love to them. He blesses them saying, "The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you." He also curses those who do not love the Lord. "If anyone does not love the Lord, let that person be cursed!

St. Paul's a bit tough. Not sure if I'd go there. Not that it hasn't crossed my mind. My mind, on a few occasions, has considered how the prophet Elisha cursed the boys that called him baldy and God's response to the curse. (2 Kings 2:23-25)  Now, that was a serious curse! Those bears came out of the woods and mauled 42 of the boys and not because they did not love the Lord; simply because they were disrespectful to his prophet.

St. Paul cursed those who did not love the Lord. But, I'd rather ask God to soften their hearts to Him; to open their minds; to help them receive their salvation. I'd much prefer to ask for a blessing so that I might live in peace. Yes, I know. That's a little selfish. But, I can get real weary living among a cursed people. Blessed people are much easier to live with.

May the grace of the Lord Jesus be with you all.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: