Friday, January 30, 2015

2 Corinthians 3:1-6 Commending Ourselves

2 Corinthians 3:1-6 NIV
Sometimes when I attend meetings, I end up doing something that I am not particularly fond of. That is that ice-breaker where we go around the room and everyone introduces themselves by giving their names as well as telling something about themselves. Usually the leader wants us to add something wonderful we do or have done - kind of a pat on the back for ourselves.

Paul asks in his letter today (quite sarcastically, I imagine) "Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, like some people, letters of recommendation to you or from you?"

You see, in these small groups, my name should be enough so people know how to address me. It's not that I am shy. It just makes me uncomfortable talking about "me" rather than the One who sends me. Who I am really is not important. Who the great "I Am" is of the most importance. After all, I can do nothing; I can accomplish nothing good without Him; without the Spirit of Christ that dwells within. It is the Spirit that gifts life and directs us. He even directs us to such meetings where we end up commending ourselves. I would much prefer that my life be a testimony to the Spirit of Christ than to who I am.

I do indeed have confidence in the life I live. However, that confidence is not in myself; but, in the God who has delivered me from myself and called me to Himself. I am confident that my life is in His hands.

May we all be living testimonies of His love.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: