Thursday, September 24, 2015

Adulting; May the Lord Teach Us How



Adulting: Taking on adult responsibilities.
 
Psalm 143:7-8
Answer me quickly, O Lord;
    my spirit fails.
Do not hide your face from me,
    or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.
Let me hear of your steadfast love in the morning,
    for in you I put my trust.
Teach me the way I should go,
    for to you I lift up my soul.
 
 Making the transition from teen-ager to adult can be a bit scary for many. Graduation from High School and prospects of either further education and/or learning to care for and support themselves can be daunting.
 
My granddaughter, who is a teen working on this transition, taught me a new word this past week. It is adulting. I laughed when I first heard her use it. I thought she had made it up. But, I checked the Urban Dictionary and it appears to be a word that is being used today. Adulting is when a young person begins to take on things that would be considered adult-like. These might be things as simple as getting out of bed on time without anyone having to wake them up or filling out a job application without assistance. Of course, this is a process; and, the training of a young person to make this transition should actually begin at birth. But, that jump from teen to adult is not always easy even for those who have been adulting (bearing the responsibilities of an adult) for many years.
 
My granddaughter is actually a bit shy around people she does not know well. But, she is learning that if she ever wants to be independent of me; she will have to break out of that shell and quickly.
 
The psalmist prayed that the Lord would teach him the way that he should go. This is my prayer for all of our young people. That the Lord would be with them; guiding them in His Way as they learn how to be mature and fruitful adults. It is not easy to make that transition from teen to adult. Aging is a process that cannot be stopped. Prayerfully, as we all age, we will also all grow and mature in Christ. May God be with our young people as they learn to follow in the way that He would have them go.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: